Designated as both the federally-recognized Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) and state-designated Regional Transportation Planning Organization (RTPO), WCOG manages the federal and state required Regional Long-range Transportation Plan. Additional core planning functions of WCOG include:
- Regional Transportation Improvement Program (TIP),
- Human Services Transportation (HST),
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Architecture,
- Public Participation Plan,
- Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP),
- Comprehensive Economic Development Strategies (CEDS).
WCOG’s staff also undertakes a wide variety of transportation planning efforts for the benefit of the region.