How You Can Participate in Transportation Decision Making
This page provides information and resources for anyone in our community who’d like to share ideas, concerns, or challenges regarding transportation in our region.
In addition to the resources and contact information compiled below, WCOG and the Whatcom Transportation Authority (WTA) facilitate
the Community Transportation Advisory Group (CTAG).
- Participate in meetings — four times a year. Meetings are primarily virtual.
Agendas usually include upcoming decisions by regional transportation boards (The Whatcom Transportation Policy Board and the Whatcom Transportation Authority Board of Directors), information on transportation trends, upcoming studies and projects, Whatcom Transit Authority service planning and operations, regional bicycle & pedestrian planning, and more.
- Attend events — Receive invitations to CTAG events (e.g. tour of WTA operations, panel discussions with subject matter experts.)
- Receive notifications and news — Members can opt in for periodic emails regarding opportunities for feedback on draft plans, news on emerging topics related to regional transportation, etc.
How to Join CTAG
Application for CTAG membership is open to anyone age 16 or older who lives, works, or owns a business located in Whatcom County. A CTAG membership application is required. Click on the link to complete an on-line application. Or if you would prefer a fillable PDF emailed to you, a paper application mailed to you, or just have other questions, please email (email@example.com) or call (360) 685-8391.
|February 22, 2022 – 4:30-5:30pm||Agenda||Summary|
|April 5, 2022 – 4:30-5:30pm||Agenda||Summary|
|May 24, 2022 – 4:30-5:30pm||Agenda||Summary|
|October 4, 2022 – 4:30-5:30pm||Agenda||Summary|
|January 31, 2023 – 4:30-5:30pm||Agenda||Summary|
|April 25, 2023 – 4:30-5:30pm||Agenda||Summary|
|September 25, 2023 – 4:30-6:00pm||Agenda|
CTAG Current Issues
Learn about the process of planning, designing, funding, building, and operating our transportation systems and how you can participate.
In 2016 the U.S. DOT launched the Every Place Counts Leadership Academy, an initiative to encourage and inform local communities about transportation decision-making and how anyone can bring their voice and insights to that process. Check out the USDOT Leadership Academy website for various resources.
The Every Place Counts Toolkit is an especially good and concise explanation of how local transportation outcomes result from decisions and funding across federal, state, regional, and local levels and the ways you can participate in those various phases.
Other Resources & Ways to Give Input
You don’t have to join CTAG to give input or ask questions. You can always phone or email WCOG or WTA offices, ask to review current and pending plans, submit comments to the WCOG or WTA boards, etc.
Local jurisdictions in the Whatcom region
If your ideas, concerns, or questions relate to transportation facilities or projects you know to be owned or managed by a specific local jurisdiction or agency, you may prefer to contact them directly. But the WCOG office is always happy to be a starting point for connecting you with the part of the process most related to your concerns.
- City of Bellingham – Public Works general inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org, (360) 778-7700
- City of Blaine – Public Works Department: email@example.com, (360) 332-8311
- City of Everson – Public Works Department: (360) 966-3411 ext. 1300
- City of Ferndale – Communications: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Public Works: (360) 384-4006
- City of Lynden – Public Works: BanhamS@Lyndenwa.org ; (360) 354-3446
- City of Nooksack – Public Works: email@example.com ; (360) 966-2531
- City of Sumas – Public Works: firstname.lastname@example.org ; 360-123-4567
- Lummi Indian Nation – Public Works: 360-312-2334
- Nooksack Tribe – Economic Development & Planning: email@example.com – (360) 592-5176
- Whatcom Transportation Authority (WTA) – WTA contact page; Public comments phone: (360) 676-7433 (business hours) or (360) 715-4500 (all hours recorded comment line).
- Whatcom County – Public Works: Email , Website , (360) 778-6220
- Port of Bellingham – (Bellingham International Airport, various marine facilities), (360) 676-2500
- WSDOT Projects info for Whatcom County region; All public inquiries and/or concerns for Whatcom County: (206) 440-4000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WA State Dept. of Transportation (WSDOT) main website.